Thursday, October 1, 2020

Analyzing House Style Reflection

        Today, I decided that I need to take what I learned and start planning what House Style would be best for my magazine. Because my magazine will be about women in the world of business, determining my house style is important to create a recognizable brand. First, I must look at examples of magazines with similar genres and compare a few music magazine covers and their house styles. The following information will be a look into the notes I took on any similar patterns and styles that I noticed in different brands, and a look into the process of developing a unique but effective house style for my media piece.

  After deep brainstorming and comparing of multiple magazines about African American culture, I came across a large array of notable African American publications and in almost all of them the following conventions remained constant:

  • Mast Head - Almost all of the cover pages had a mast head of large bold capital letters with varying font.  
  • Color Scheme - Varying color schemes according to issue topic. However, colors are cohesive, minimalistic, and are constant throughout the page.  
  • Main Image - The main images on these magazines are the main eye grabber. All covers feature large pictures of influential, strong black leaders in our community as seen in the examples above. 
  • Main Cover Line/Model Credit - The cover lines have specific colors that are kept constant. Some issues might have cover lines of different fonts but same color, or same font same color. 
  • Cover Lines - the cover lines are usually of smaller less noticeable font but still bolded and usually is a base color such as white or black. 

    Today's research gave me a deeper insight into the designing process of a magazine. I researched publications closest to the genre that I will be creating, to help me determine what house style would be both aesthetically pleasing, and effective with sales.  

Image Sources:

 https://www.etsy.com/listing/828482943/black-lives-matter-hearts-clipart?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=black+heart+clipart&ref=sr_gallery-1-2 

https://www.canva.com/design/DAEJnaKEyYU/yI84Gf3guFNNhYbKmMoogw/edit?layoutQuery=thinking+on+computer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection Question 4

 Good Morning Blog,  Question 4 - How did you integrate technologies -- software, hardware and online -- in this project?  Here is the link ...