Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Double Page Spread Conventions

 Good Morning Blog, 

Today, I decided to start Brainstorming ideas for my Double-Page Spread, but I then realized that I have no idea what conventions to follow when constructing my own. So, I did my research and below is my findings: 



Simply put, a Double Page Spread is an article that takes up 2 pages and includes copy and photographs. It is usually the 'center' two pages of a magazine and will usually feature the main cover star from the front cover. Here are some basic conventions:

1. The image should either cover both pages or be on one with writing on the other side.
2. The writing in a column will never be split along the staple line.
3. Stand first - the introduction to the article that sums up what it will be about. It serves to intrigue the audience to keep reading.
4. Drop capital -  The first letter at the start of paragraphs is often much larger, and extends down 3 or 4 lines. 
5. Headline - The title is usually in large font and not too long. Often uses alliteration. 
6. Columns - usually 2 or 4 with equal horizontal spacing. 
7. Pull quote - quote taken form the featured person that is placed around the spread in a larger font. This serves to capture readers attention, hence the name 'pull quote'. 
8. Appropriate language/register to establish a relationship with the target audience. 

These are just a few of the many double-page spread conventions, however these are some of the main conventions that I need to consider when creating my own. 


Sources: 
http://slides.com/sophiemeadows/codes-and-conventions-of-double-page-spread#/14









No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection Question 4

 Good Morning Blog,  Question 4 - How did you integrate technologies -- software, hardware and online -- in this project?  Here is the link ...